Networks - Analysis
Before interviewing the client, make sure to review basic networking information found in your resources: MCIT Networking Research Material. This document contains links to videos and websites that are required reading before continuing with this task.
After watching and reading the information in the MCIT Networking Research Material, you interview the employees and learn the following:
- There are five employees in the office
- Susan has a laptop.
- Bob has a desktop system in his office.
- Pat has a desktop system that is physically connected to the multifunction printer.
- Julie has a desktop system and she shares out a folder on her hard drive that has all the customer information used by all employees.
- John has a laptop system.
- All 5 employees connect to the network and Internet via a NetGear router.
- All 5 employees have Windows 7 installed on their computers.
- Pat shares her printer to others in the office.
- The NetGear router connects to the cable modem as the Internet service is provided by the local cable company.
- The router is located in Pat’s office and is physically connected (RJ-45 cable) to Pat, Julie and Bob’s computer systems.
Susan and John connect to the router via their wireless connections in their laptops.
- Frequently employees have had problems connecting to shared devices and/or the Internet.
- Julie is the “network expert” in the office. When she is gone, network troubles result in a call to the cable company and work is delayed waiting for solutions.